Friday, July 2, 2010

Holiday Treats

This week at work we celebrated a coworker's birthday by bringing in an array of desserts. I decided it had been a while since I had made a jello cake and since it is one of my favorite desserts I made one as my contribution. While I was making it I realized it would be the perfect dessert to bring to a 4th of July BBQ. I made the one above (sorry for the terrible picture I forgot to take a pic before hand and realized after it had been released to the masses) using strawberry jello and strawberries. I have never tried any other variations but I am sure any red or blue flavors of jello would work. To make it a little more festive on top you could alternate rows of strawberries and blueberries for the red white and blue look.


Whatever combination of the recipe you decide to make, it is super quick and easy. All you have to do is bake a white cake according to the directions on the box. Once the cake is done poke holes all over the cake in rows about 1/2 inch to an inch apart. I use a wooden kabob skewer to make the holes since I always have those on hand for last minute appetizers and they are super cheap for a bag full of them. Most grocery stores sell them in the kitchen utensils aisle. Anything that is larger around then a toothpick and smaller around then a pencil will work fine though. Next dissolve one small box of jello mix in one cup of hot water. The water doesn't have to be boiling but needs to be hot enough to dissolve the mix. Once dissolved, add one cup of cold water to it and pour the mixture all over the cake. Set the cake on a hot pad in the refrigerator to chill. Just before serving frost it with one tub of cool whip (I use the fat free kind) and top it with the fruit of your choice. So simple and everyone will love it. It is the perfect summer cake since it is not a heavy cake and the jello makes it super moist.


Another tasty treat that was brought in was the peanut butter bar above. I have never made these before but I since they were deeeeeelicous I had to get the recipe. I am a huge fan of anything with peanut butter and chocolate but my favorite has always been the Reese's Peanut Butter Egg. Well let me tell you this blows the peanut butter egg out of the water. The best part is that the recipe looks super easy. And thanks to my coworker it's yours :)

24 oz jar creamy Jiff peanut butter
½ cup butter
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
Box of powdered sugar, which is 3 ½ cups

Mix ingredients above together and spread into a greased cookie sheet. For the topping use:
1 bag chocolate chips
½ cup butter

Melt on low heat until smooth. Poor on top.Let sit overnight in the refrigerator. These are best served cold.

Have any holiday favorites? Leave them in the comments below.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment