Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Semi-Homemade Sunday

Goblet Libbey, Plate Pottery Barn Outlet



This past Sunday I felt like a bit of a splurge for breakfast instead of my usual egg whites or cereal. I had picked up this Granola Pancake and Waffle Mix from Williams-Sonoma at Plaza Frontenac and decided to give it a try. The mix is all-natural and has toasted oats and almonds in it. While I normally try to make my weekend recipes from scratch I was feeling a little on the lazy side so chose to use this pre-made mix. The waffle recipe is super quick and easy and calls for only three extra ingredients: butter, eggs, and milk. I made them a wee bit healthier by using egg whites and substituted vanilla almond milk for regular milk to help enhance the almonds already in the mix. I knew I was in for a treat after I tasted the batter. To me it had just the right amount of sweet and spiciness to it and almost tasted like it already had syrup in it. However, I have a huge sweet tooth so for me the sweeter the better, so if you are not big on sweets you may find the sweetness overwhelming for a waffle recipe. I could have eaten the whole batch just like that but since eating large amounts of raw egg whites is never a good idea I settled for the finished product instead. The batter was a little on the runny side so I added a few large pinches of extra mix to it. Not sure if this was due to the use of egg whites and almond milk or not but it's something to keep in mind if you want to give them a try. The waffles turned out great they were soft, not too dry and delicious. I topped mine with Trader Joe's 100% Real Maple Syrup (which if you haven't tried it you need to run out and get it immediately! It tastes so much better then the high fructose corn syrup laden store brands and it is a lot cheaper then other real maple syrup brands. Definitely delicious!). The waffles would also be excellent topped with berries and granola too for a healthier alternative. And to make my breakfast at home feel a little more like brunch at a quaint little cafe I had a glass of milk in a nice goblet. It's just too bad it was entirely too hot out to eat it al fresco on the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment