Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hiding a Phone Jack-From Drab to Fab

Since moving into my new apartment in January I have been trying to find something to cover this terrible phone jack on the wall in my kitchen. It is a huge eyesore to begin with, then when you couple it with the fact that it faces the front door, making it one of the first things you see when you walk into the house, it is atrocious. The first thing I thought of was obviously a picture, but since a flat picture would stick out due to the phone jack that wouldn't work. I also couldn't use a canvas picture because I already had one on the other side of the wall near the corner so that would have been to much. Then one day after opening my liquor cabinet and having a bottle of wine fall out, since I had tried to cram waaay to many bottles into such a small space. I had a great idea.

Back in December a friend and I took a trip up to Chicago. Since she had never been to the magical world of Ikea we made a stop. While there I found these awesome modern looking wine racks that could me mounted to the wall or under a cabinet. I wanted to get them then but since I didn't know what my new apartment was going to look like yet, and I have absolutely no room for extra stuff, I talked myself out of them. And now that I had come upon the perfect use for them I was absolutely kicking myself. Since a drive up to Chicago just to purchase two $12 wine racks was out of the question, I waited patiently for my trip to San Diego to purchase them, and hoped that once I got them they would look as good as I had imagined in the space.


Needless to say I am quite happy with the look. They fit perfectly over the phone jack and bring a modern touch to my extremely out of date traditional apartment kitchen. The best part is it also provides a storage space. As I am sure most of you know space comes at a premium when you live in an apartment, and with as much stuff as I have it's at a super premium, so i am constantly looking for new ways to save space and have things both look great and serve a purpose. So for $24 I got storage, decor, a space saver and a disguise all in one. Now with my wish of something to cover my drab ugly phone jack granted, my next wish is please oh please can we get an Ikea in St. Louis! A girl can dream :).

No comments:

Post a Comment